So with the news media covering the World War I Nov. 11 armistice anniversary recently, it got me thinking: when can the youth of today have their own Great War to fight in?
It’s really not fair. Until ours and our father’s time, every generation had an epoch-defining armed conflict they could get involved in, where they could change the world and feel important. WWII, WWI, the American Civil War, the Napoleonic Wars. Real wars. For their efforts, the participants were remembered as heroes and their stories the stuff of legend. So that even today, 100 years after WWI, the war and the soldiers that fought in it are feted and celebrated each Nov. 11. Plus of course, the soldiers received a pension for life and discounts on services like healthcare.
It’s not fair! I want to have a real war to fight in, so that 50 years from now I can tell my grandchildren of how I saved humanity’s freedom and each year I can march down main street in a parade, be given a kiss by a fair maiden despite being a wrinkly old man at that point, and free beers. But what do I have to look forward to? A boring career, boring consumerism, fake wars in the World of Warcraft and Far Cry 4. The youth of today are willing, straining at the leash to fight. Just look at Muslim youth who have rallied to the cause of the Arab Spring, this shows the old spirit of our forefathers lives in us. But unlike ISIS, our politicians do not oblige. Where is our real war? Where is our chance to prove ourselves to the world and make it better through war?
Now of course, some people might say that I can fight now. I can join the Marines and get sent to Afghanistan, to fight some goatherd with an ak. But that’s not a real war! Afghanistan and the wars we are fighting now, those are colonial wars. We’re fighting savages, armed with sticks (comparatively to our technological might). The outcome of battles are never in doubt, we’re guaranteed to win. Just like Vietnam, the soldiers that fight in those wars aren’t remembered. They just did their jobs, and kept people like Karzai in power, eating steaks at Bagram airbase until their two years were up. They weren’t heroes that stood up to Nazism or slavery. They weren’t fighting battles against a foe with equal training and equipment, battles that they could actually lose.
I want a real war! But the politicians won’t oblige.
So we see people, white people in the UK, in Australia, slinking off to fight for ISIS. Because we want to fight for a cause. And our politicians lambast us for trying to claim what we deserve, the change to fight for a cause! The chance to follow in the footsteps of our forefathers, who fought in WWI and WWII, before age and decrepitude means we have lost that opportunity forever. All because our politicians won’t oblige and give us a real war to fight in.
But there is a foe that we can fight. A real war for us to be remembered as heroes in!
Russia. Russia right now is a mad dog, bullying its neighbouring countries and depriving them of freedom ; annexing entire regions ; shooting down airliners and killing innocent civilians and journalists ; keeping its own populace oppressed and deprived of real information with all media controlled by the state. As an internet user, nothing angers me more than censorship! Russia must burn for that. Russians are worse than Nazis, and they need to be disarmed right now before they can hurt anyone else.
The whole world agrees on this. At G20, all the heads of state gathered to agree that Russia needs to be stopped. Already, Russia has been blockaded with sanctions so they cannot get any new weapons. But why stop at that? Why can’t we fight Russia right now and give the people what they want?
Why can’t we just fight Russia already?
I would like to answer this question. As I learned from movies, when coming to a decision, one should write down the pros and cons. Then, based on how each side is weighted, the choice should be made.
The pros of fighting a war against Russia:
- We will win.
- We will win, because it will be Russia vs the whole world. As we saw at G20, every nation that matters is steadfastly opposed to Russia and will fight against her if there is a war. And noone can defeat the whole world!
- We will win, because the local populace will support us. A people so oppressed, as they are in Russia, cannot possibly remain supportive of their regime once the blinkers of state propaganda and internet censorship are removed. Once war starts, the Russian people will turn on their slavemasters and support our effort to free them.
- As a result the war will be short and easy, and we will return home as heroes that brought freedom and security to Eastern Europe.
- General Winter is no longer on Russia’s side. Because of technology, winter does not have the effect that it used to and these days a little winter won’t stop our planes, satellites, tanks or troops.
- There will be no nuclear war. Putin knows that he cannot use nukes. If he loses in a conventional war, the worst that will happen to him is that he loses power but Russia will be mostly intact. If he dares to use nukes, he knows that our response will be to ensure that every Russian man, woman and children will die in the fires of a nuclear holocaust and that Russia will be annihilated from the face of the Earth. So nukes will remain as they are: weapons that are so powerful they can never be used.
- Some of us might die. But that’s a risk you have to take!
So there you have it! Based on a scientific pro and con analysis, there is only one conclusion: we must fight Putin. We must fight Russia! So that 100 years from now, on November 16, our progeny will line up and cheer us as the defenders of freedom.
The youth of today deserve our World War III!